I appreciate Pastor Poonen because God has anointed him to teach the Scriptures plainly, but with great spiritual conviction. I know that this is an area God still works with me on; to resist the temptation to respond "in kind" to others or to give folks a "piece of my mind" because of how they interact with me. Sometimes people say to me, "Oh, you are so patient in how you respond to others." Yet they don't know the inner battle which can sometimes occur between what "I" really want to say and what the Holy Spirit will not let me say. LOL
If it were not for the Holy Spirit, surely a different "me" would be seen. And while I am so grateful for the work of the Spirit in this way, I also know that this inner struggle is merely evidence that the old man is not as dead as he should be. There is still a little too much life left in the flesh, which must be further crucified. I look to the day when the Holy Spirit no longer has to muzzle me in such instances because even the urge to justify or defend "self" is gone. That is my prayer.
Anyway, I hope this message is a blessing to you!
- We must to glory in the small things while ignoring the weightier things of God.
- The way you know that you are walking in the light is that you get personal light or revelation on your own spiritual condition.
- The word being a two-edged sword means it cuts me (applies to me) before it cuts others (before it can be applied by me to others).
- Many professing Christians still do not have control over their tongue.
- The new covenant began in Acts 2:4 when "tongues" of fire appeared on every man. God did this to illustrate that this is the part of the body we must be most careful about as it is what God will use the most in the new covenant.
- The gift of the Holy Spirit can not only give you the ability to speak in other tongues; it will give you the ability to control your mother tongue.
- People don't have power because the Spirit of God leaks out through misuse of the tongue. You cannot be spiritual while not controlling your tongue (James 1:26); all your Christianity is worth zero.
- While the role of a prophet is a special calling, God's word says that all can prophecy (meaning to bless others through the sharing of God's word - I Corinthians 4:13). Some try to stifle the voices of women in the Church, yet the Scriptures say they shall prophecy. So do not hinder God's works by silencing women in this way.
- If we understood that Jesus is always listening to what we say, we would be more careful in our speech.
- Only when we have gotten control over the tongue can we be God's spokesman (Jeremiah 15:19).
- It is a shame on the men of Israel that He had to use Deborah as a judge because He could find no man. A lot of loss comes to Churches because people falsely believe that God only uses brothers.
- Death and life are in the power of the tongue (Proverbs 18:21). If you love death then you will gossip, criticize, backbite, etc. If you love life then you will speak life, encouragement, edification, etc.
- Your tongue can defile your whole body.
- Your tongue can be set on fire by the power of the Holy Spirit or set on fire for Hell (James 3:6).
- Oftentimes gossip can be hidden under the guise of "prayer". A faithful man conceals a matter and doesn't become a talebearer (Proverbs 11:13).
- A wise person is not quick to anger, but stays calm when insulted (Proverbs 12:16).
- Even the grieving of the Holy Spirit is cited in Scripture in relation to the tongue (Ephesians 4:29-31).
- Some are so concerned that they do not speak in unknown tongues, yet are not bothered that they do not yet control their mother tongue.
- It is more spiritual to answer with a gentle word even than just keeping your mouth shut when someone is angry with you (Proverbs 15:1).
- The biggest fool of all is the one who is hasty in speaking (Proverbs 29:20)
- What comes out of your mouth is merely the evidence of what is in your heart (Matthew 12:34).