Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Does God Love Those He Sends to Hell?

Since the CD player in our car is broken, we have been listening to Christian radio stations.  As I did so today, it dawned on me how many songs are about God's love for us.

Song after song spoke of how God loves us anyway in spite of our sin.  How God's love lifts me up when I am down.  How God's love catches me when I fall.  How God's love carries me when I am weak...

Don't get me wrong, God's love is an absolutely wonderful thing!  It is beyond comprehension and I am ever grateful for it.  And while I noted the recurring theme of the songs, I sang right along with most of them.

Yet, how many realize that God's love is not the problem with mankind?  The issue is not whether God loves us, but whether we love Him.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil." John 3:16-19

We can sing about and bask in the fact that God loves us, but if we in turn never love Him then we will still be damned to Hell.

Some might say, "Oh, here they go again."  However, I am serious.  So many times, when people are doing what they know they should not or when they have become complacent in their walk with God, they start speaking of how God loves them.  Yet, does God love those He sends to Hell?

If you answer, "Yes", then God's love alone will not keep you from Hell unless you respond to that love.

If you answer, "No", then there must be some criteria or condition to receiving God's love and it would behoove us to understand what that is.

The point of this post is not to get into some theological or philisophical debate.  It is to remind us that God has already proven His love for all mankind by sending His Son Jesus Christ to die as a payment for our sins so that we could be reconciled to Him and experience His love in our lives.

However, He also has the expectation that we will respond to His love as demonstrated by obedience to His words (John 14:15-23, 15:10; I John 2:5, 5:2-3).

In an effort to prove that God gives us eternal, unconditional security, a Christian once asked me, "Name just one thing in the New Testament that God says obedience is a requirement to receive?"  So, I pointed Him to Acts 5:32:

"And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him."

I also pointed out that only those led by the Spirit of God are the Sons of God (Romans 8:14).

An atheist once asked me, "How can a loving God send people to Hell?"  And I stated, "Because after all of His wooing and warning, He loves you enough to give you exactly what you insist upon having: an eternity apart from Him."

God's love is not a protection against Him being a Just & Righteous Judge when we stand before Him, giving an accounting of our lives.  The next time you contemplate the greatness of God's love for us, consider as well your love for Him.

Are you able to confess to Him with a pure heart that you love Him or have you in all honesty departed from your first love due to the cares of this life (Revelation 2:4)?  I am not speaking of being without sin or even no longer struggling against sin.  I am asking are you seeking to have your consciences purged so that you can stand before Him in sincerity (Hebrews 10:2)?

"My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us." I John 3:18-24

How can we assure our hearts before God?  How can we know that we are of the truth?  It is not with our many words and verbal professions.  It is by being sincere with God (Psalm 51:6).  "Is there anything in my life displeasing to God?  Any part of my life I am trying to keep from Him?  Any area that I know He has out His finger on, but that I have not yet submitted to Him?
sincere: free of deceit, hypocrisy, or falseness; earnest: genuine; real:pure; unmixed; unadulterated; frank, candid, honest, open, guileless; unaffected. 

Every day God gives us is an opportunity to grow in Him and love Him more.  Don't take it for granted or let it pass idly by.  Tomorrow is not promised to anyone.  Let's be real with God.  If we truly love Him, then we will seek to obey Him and not find excuses about why we have not done so.

I pray that God gives us an appreciation for His love that is coupled with proper reverence of Him.  While glorying in His love, let's also understand the transformative work His love aims to accomplish in our lives by making us reflections of that love in a dying world.

"For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again." II Corinthians 5:14-15

4 comments:

  1. Good point. I think so much stuff is watered down now like music, sermons, etc. that desensitization is sure to follow. And as time goes on the music and messages and even discernment will grow worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said:
    "... how many realize that God's love is not the problem with mankind? The issue is not whether God loves us, but whether we love Him."

    ______

    So simple, so profound, so true.

    So sad that many don't love Him and yet they still hope to benefit from His love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Latter days ,

    I have been following your blog since 2009 and I must say that I always agree with each and every post. It is true that the word of God has been watered down and we tend to focus more on God's grace then his righteous justice.

    I need to ask you, how do you deal with people in the church who strongly disagrees with you? I have been dealing with this lately and I have probably been labeled as a legalist lol. Per example, at my church , God's grace, love and mercy are constantly preached while they never speak of God's judgement and the days we are in (the last days) because we're scared that new born Christians might be afraid.... They do preach repentance at least...phiew ! I just feel like the church have become...wordly.. My problem is, sometimes I speak with some of my fellow church folks who are all happy to see our church grow and when I tell them that it might be growing for the wrong reasons, they say that I'm ''bringing them down''...

    How do you deal with that kind of situation? especially in your circle of good friends...You have been telling things how they are and I can't help but think that there must be at least one person around you who disagrees with your views...

    Anyway, You have a really good blog, you have opened my eyes on so many subjects ! I had just gave my life to the Lord when I stumbled upon your article about beyonce's posession. No need to tell you my Ipod was empty the same night LOL . You did a really good job, God is blessing you and speaking trough you. Keep it up !

    Some love from a canadian follower ;)
    May God keep blessing you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Delilah,

    It is nice to meet you sister! I have to say that I thought you signed your comment "from a canadian flower". LOL Although I suppose that can be true too! :-)

    My eyesight is really going these days. My husband got on me today about getting glasses. Guess I need to bite the bullet and go.

    There are plenty who disagree with me at times. The thing which I rely on is seeking God's approval. If you know that God is pleased with you, then everything else just falls to the wayside.

    I would say to keep being available to God, saying/doing what He leads you to. Even if certain things aren't coming from the pulpit in general, it can come from you if God leads. Remember, all of you are what makes the church the "church" and each has something to offer to make the Body of Christ alive.

    So short answer: forget people and focus on God. A lot of people didn't agree with Jesus, but He was intent on doing what the Father desired.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

In an effort to reduce the amount of spam received, Anonymous posts will no longer be accepted. Comments are still moderated and will appear once approved.

If you have a personal message to relay, please use the "Contact Us" form at the top of the blog. Thank you!