Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Search Me

I watched someone recently try to present the Gospel to an unbeliever while at the same time reassuring them that they have no desire to "judge" them.  "No, we are not supposed to judge", they said, "We are only supposed to present the Gospel."

It was torturous to see.  They were trapped in a religious loop of trying to demonstrate the person's need for Jesus while at the same time not convicting of sin so as not to seem "judgmental".

People, the presence of sin is the very reason why we all need Jesus so desperately because it is such which separates us from God.  We cannot separate salvation from the essence of that from which we are being saved (Romans Chapters 5-8).  If we do not judge ourselves as sinners, then we will never see the need for Christ.

Even churchfolks these days are adopting a "You can't judge" stance, although such is completely unBiblical.  The only reason others say, "You can't judge me." is because they assume that everyone else is a sinning hypocrite like themselves.  And I am saying that with as much "love" as I can muster.

The heart of a true Christian is one who desires to be judged because they have a reverence for, and love of, the Lord; treasuring His ways above all else.  As a result, they seek to be transparent before God and men.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." Psalm 139: 23-24

"Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart." Psalm 26:2

"Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress." Psalm 17:3

"How many are mine iniquities and sins? Make me to know my transgression and my sin." Job 13:23

"For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us, as silver is tried." Psalm 66:10

"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" II Corinthians 13:5

"Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD." Lamentations 3:40

I have said it before, but I'll say it again.  There is no room in a Christian's life to be "offended".  People feel so justified in being offended by others; holding on to hurts & grudges because of what they feel others have said or done.  Yet God showed me many years ago that I have no right to be.  If someone says something - and I am offended by it - then I should examine myself to see if there is even a grain a truth in that statement.  If there is, then I need to repent plain and simple.  If there is no truth in it, then there again is no cause for me to be offended. 


In the Scriptures, there were two responses to Jesus when He preached the Good News: people were either offended by His words (and thereby rejected Him) or pricked to their hearts by them (and brought to repentance).  Which boat would you rather be in?

I implore you to let the light of God's Holy Spirit search you out through and through.  Don't hold back areas of your life from Him and don't be afraid for Him to put His finger on old wounds.  He is doing so for our own good, to make us whole.  He is the ultimate Healer and He restores our soul. 

The following song by Brother Joe May is one of my favorites and is called "Search me Lord."  I hope that it encourages you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In an effort to reduce the amount of spam received, Anonymous posts will no longer be accepted. Comments are still moderated and will appear once approved.

If you have a personal message to relay, please use the "Contact Us" form at the top of the blog. Thank you!